5 Easy Post-Summer Slim Down Tips
We often spend the spring getting swim-suit ready for the summer. And you’d think with all of the available fruits and vegetables available in the summer and our increased activity,that we’d be in tip-top shape. It doesn’t always work that way. Because summer is busy and active, we don’t always take the time to eat right. There are BBQs, alcohol, snacking at parties, vacation indulgences, and all-you-can-eat buffets. And the heat can draw you inside, which means exercise can decrease. So, what’s a health conscious person to do?
- Plan your meals. When we are on the go and grab whatever’s available, we tend to go for convenience. While Tropical Smoothie Café combines convenience with fresh and healthy foods, other “fast food” places often put convenience over nutrition. Salty fries and fatty burgers seem to be on every corner and if we don’t plan our meals, we may end up mindlessly wandering back to the first thing that’s available.
- Eat breakfast. You’ve heard it before and studies continue to back up the importance of breakfast. You’ve gone all night without food so your metabolism has slowed to a crawl. That first morning meal literally “breaks a fast” and gets your metabolism revved up for the rest of the day. We’re often rushing to work or school first thing in the morning and it’s too easy to skip breakfast. Don’t do it! Skipping breakfast will hamper your weight loss efforts. If you don’t have time to fix a balanced breakfast, swing by Tropical Smoothie and we’ll get you fed and on your way in no time. We have wonderful breakfast wraps, flatbread sandwiches and breakfast chiabattas. Our Triple Berry Oat Smoothie makes a great breakfast smoothie. While you’re ordering, add a healthy sandwich to take with you for lunch.
- Eat frequently. It may sound counter-intuitive, but you should eat something at least every 4 hours. Otherwise, your blood sugar may drop and you will get too hungry. When we’re hungry, we make poor eating decisions and once again, we grab whatever is available or convenient. You know why they say “don’t go to the grocery store hungry,” right? Because we buy everything that feeds our current craving. And when hungry, we usually crave the quick fixes (comfort foods) that send our blood sugar up or we over-indulge. Nutritionists recommend three square meals and one snack per day. Dr. Oz has endorsed a smoothie diet for nutritious weight loss. Tropical Smoothie Café’s middle name is “Smoothie.” If it’s a smoothie you want, we have smoothies! We’re here to help and have a variety of yummy options, including low-fat smoothies.
- Water. Aqua. H2O. Don’t forget the water. Often when we think we’re hungry, we’re actually dehydrated. Keep a tall water bottle with you and sip on it throughout the day. Drink at least six 8 oz. glasses of water every day.
- Stay active. Even if you’ve gotten out of the habit of exercise, keep your body moving to increase bone and muscle strength. Muscle burns fat and calories so do some resistance training and go for a brisk walk in the morning or evening when temperatures are comfortable. There’s also an Xpress Fitness gym right here in our shopping center off of West Horizon Ridge Pkwy. If you live close enough, walk to Tropical Smoothie Café for an energizing smoothie! And if you come frequently, use your VIP punch card to get your 10th smoothie for FREE!
With these tips and your determination, you’ll be ahead of the weight-loss game while others are worried about the approaching holidays. The goal should always be about creating healthy habits, not quick and drastic weight loss that deprives you of nutrition only to have the weight return again later. A heart-healthy diet is one of the healthiest things you can do for your body. It consists of fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, the “good” (monounsaturated) fats, complex carbohydrates and lean meat. Tropical Smoothie’s menu is loaded with a variety of heart-healthy choices. You don’t have to deprive yourself to lose fat and be healthy. With any diet or exercise program, it’s always a good idea to first consult with your physician.
Posted on September 8, 2011, in Nutrition, Tropical Smoothie Cafe, Tropical Smoothie Cafe NV24 and tagged balanced breakfast., breakfast smoothie, fitness, fruits and vegetables, healthy diet, healthy sandwich, Nutrition, summer, weight, weight loss efforts. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.